Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

March 1, 2009

Getting Used to Nothing


It just never seems like the disaster of an economy is far from the minds of all of us, right? Many of you have shared with me different tricks you're implementing to buckle down and save pennies during this rocky time. I've heard everything from canceling cell phones or home phones to breaking down and car-pooling to a local job with that smelly neighbor whose favorite shirt features a certain yellow cartoon sponge to placing grocery shopping on a tighter budget, renting movies for entertainment rather than going to the theaters, eating in rather than so much eating out, and even canceling cable TV service. That's right people. You can actually survive without having 2,097 channels of television to occupy your time. Shocking, I know. I hope you were sitting down when you read that.

And that brings to mind another story. Last Wednesday was the beginning of Lent for Catholics everywhere. My family is originally Catholic but I personally wasn't raised Catholic and now, we choose to attend a protestant Christian church. So my son was questioning what Lent is and we offered a simplified explanation about giving up some activity or item as a way of honoring Jesus's 40 days and nights spent in the wilderness, resisting the Devil's temptations. Folks today give up things like chocolate, candy, soda, fried foods. Growing up, I used to try and take this time to give up cracking my knuckles simply because I hated that habit. And it was really bad for me; I could pop each finger five different ways. I know, very ladylike. But I thought if there was this challenge to give up a bad habit, I could stick with it. The fact that this is what I tried to give up for Lent for many years tells you just how successful I was. Apparently not even the church could keep this died-in-the-wool knuckle cracker on the straight and narrow.

Anyway, I told Chase about how his best friend's dad used to give up television when he was growing up. The look of sheer astonishment on his face was second only to the one on my husband's face; neither could comprehend a life without TV. Not just cable but no boob-tube at all. What would they do?! Once Chase recovered, he asked if they could just give up something they didn't like. Like brussel sprouts. Or going to bed on time. Or ice cream with nuts in it. Of course, we explained that's not exactly honoring God.

But it did make me think about how much we have all given up thanks to the change in economy and the uncertain future. You know, when it became apparent that the economy wasn't going to bounce right back (and then snub its nose at us while laughing with friends at how gullible we all were to believe it could actually be so bad), I was no different from most in lamenting the new life I was about to inhabit. One where you couldn't just run out and drop $50 to occupy your Saturday afternoon with 10 pins, a 10 pound ball and a bucket of brewskies because you felt like it and without consulting your entire financial statement to see if you could afford it. I envisioned a future where days passed slowly, chained to my couch and wishing I could go and do any number of things I used to (which all required blowing dough). But as I sit today, watching it snow outside (that's right, in Atlanta, snow--big, fat, white flakes that are wet and gross and just leave a soppy mess on the ground as opposed to the fluffy, dry white stuff that blankets the glorious slopes of Colorado), I'm pleasantly surprised at how used to doing nothing I've grown accustomed to. How nice it is to spend the weekends inside, snuggled on the couch in front of a roaring fire, with nowhere to be and no time to be there. Especially refreshing on a snowy day where going outside to do much of anything would be no fun a'tall. It's amazing, the life change.

So if you're just joining those of us who've reevaluated life and what it costs to live it, I'm here to tell you this non-bowling, non-movie-going life...it ain't so bad. Especially if you still have cable since it is, after all, NASCAR Sunday. Gentlemen, start your engines!


No comments:

Post a Comment