Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

March 25, 2009

Another Year, Another Mid-America Gone


I used to measure the years by each Mid-America Truck Show that went by. This beauty, the largest trucking show in the country and held each March in Louisville, Ky., is a staple in our industry. I've been attending it since I first stepped foot into the world of 18 wheelers, team drivers, payloads, hometime...green as Joey Logano at Talladega. If I thought I knew what was up, Mid-America taught me I was wrong. But at a show like this, I could learn a lot in a hurry. Mid-America indoctrinated me in a way no other three day whirlwind of walking, booths, exhibitors, drivers, entertainment, food, concerts, parties and beauty contests could (truck beauty contests, not women--it ain't that kind of show). And last week's show was no disappointment for me.

Oh, I'd heard the stories about how it'd be dead this year, how the economy was driving folks away, but I had faith the drivers would show up in droves and that's who I care most about. And you didn't let me down. There are three wings utilized for the show at the convention center; our booth was in the west wing and I think the foot traffic there was super. I was lucky enough to see some of my oldest and dearest colleagues/friends in the industry (you know who you are) as well as seeing some of my oldest and dearest trucking friends in the industry. Folks like Tony Hamilton of Operation Roger, featured in our March Trucker's Connection; John and Sheila Ewing who lent me some electricity and have, in fact, never let me down anytime I've needed their help; and William Scott who was probably the very first driver I ever met and got to know personally. William and I have a storied history together that involves donuts, baseball bats and public speaking engagements. How's that for a past? I was saddened to hear about the passing of his mother and hate like hell that I missed seeing his dad, who attends every year and is as much a joy to know.

But William's dad wasn't the only person I missed--in fact, I missed more folks than I caught up to and that's a real testimony to the crowds and the action that was going on this year. But I do hate missing all the folks who've emailed to say: Where were you??! I was there, I promise!

I actually got to spend a good amount of the show walking around with a new greenie to the industry, a terrific gal named Elizabeth Haman who works with our sister publication, the famous The Trucker newspaper (you know it, you love it, I know). It was her first rodeo and I talked and pointed out so many things, it's a wonder she'll retain any of it. But it's way cool to be bringing more folks into the industry. And this will be a year for a lot of that. I saw companies missing from the show but what I also saw were a lot of hungry drivers eager to hit the road. I think we'll be seeing some fresh faces on the scene throughout '09 and next year as well. Small player companies will be the giants of tomorrow. Drivers getting started now will be earning their million safe miles before we know it. Yeah, these times, they are a'changing. But I'd like to say for the better. For how long was our biggest problem the need for quality drivers to take the roads in charge of 80,000 lbs of the nation's needed goods? Now, we have thousands of drivers looking for the challenge. As an old boss of mine used to say: Shoooooot, that's a high-grade problem to have.

What hasn't changed is the reliablity of getting together for three days in Louisville each March to shake hands, give some hugs, and laugh about the days we were all fresh faced on the scene.

Another year, another Mid-America gone by. If I missed you this year...there's always next year, friends. There's always next year.

1 comment:

  1. You've really summed up the MidAmerica experience very well. Hugs and seeing friends and meeting new truckers. And everything trucking. I especially loved our chance to chat and laugh.

    ReplyDelete