Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

April 21, 2009

Circle of (a Dog's) Life


As I stood at the door to my backyard at 6:00 a.m. this morning waiting for my 13 year old Sheltie to do her business and head back inside, it occured to me that--much like what happens with humans--dogs have a circle of life that is ironic in that the end of their life is much like the beginning. Bailey was a gift to me; she was a mere 6 weeks old when I got her. I had no children so this was my "baby." As much as I love animals, this was the first time I was personally responsible for a new puppy. I'm a big believer in crate training so that's what I did with her. She had "her" space that contained a comfy pillow and toys. It's where she could go to get away, it was a happy place for her. And it's where she slept throughout the night.

Except a 6 week old puppy doesn't exactly sleep throughout the night. Like an infant, her belly could only hold so much food which meant once it was depleted, hunger made her sick of that crate and fast. And her bladder could only hold so much, so at about 6:00 each morning, the whining began. Up I got, out she went, in the bowl went some food and I attempted to put her back in that crate so I could hit the hay again. This girl doesn't see 6:00 a.m. if there's anyway out of it. But as you might guess if you're also a dog owner who's gone the puppy route, she wasn't having any part of that crate after being in it all night. She'd whine so that there was no going back to sleep for me. She wanted out; crank up the kazoo's and whistles! It was playtime.

I hated it. Loved her but hated the 6:00 Saturday morning wake-up call. I determined right then and there that if there weren't already 1000 good reasons to adopt an older dog, now I had 1001. I'd never stroll the puppy route again.

In no time, she outgrew the 6:00 mornings. Her belly and bladder could last longer and her anxiousness to get out and play at the first peek of the sun waned. Time crept by and now, here we are, 13 years later and back to 6:00 wake-ups because her now-old-girl bladder can't hold it any longer. Bless her heart. She can't hear well anymore so she doesn't whine (strange but because she can't hear herself, I guess she doesn't think she's making any sound so she doesn't bother) but she plods around my bedroom, unsettled, and I hear her every time. Down the steps we go, out the door and back again in 5 minutes time.

Like humans who can regress to childhood as we age, it's interesting that dogs apparently do the same. One major difference now though: after getting up at 6:00, my old girl is as eager to go back to bed as I am!

3 comments:

  1. I had a golden for awhile while I was married almost 10 years ago.....Every morning, every after noon I would walk into the dining room and find him curdled up in the corner of his crate, and his business all over the rest of it. So out he went, into the tube to get a quick bath, and then the cleaning of his crate. It sure wasn't fair to him......we both worked full time jobs and went to school full time.....and these days, I find myself thinking about adopting a senior golden or lab to just enjoy their last few years watching the trees go by in the passenger side of this rolling behemoth of a vehicle.....knowing that all they'll have to do is give that occasional look at me to let me know they need to get down and do their deal.....doesn't sound like to bad of a way to spend their days to me......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan, I just went through that with my 11 and a half year old beagle. He had kidney and liver failure and I had to let him go to doggie heaven Tuesday. It's been a sad week, but my friends at The Trucker have helped me through and been understanding.

    Buddy was the best dog in the world. ... RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy, Barb. Our other dog is a beagle so we have a special place in our hearts for those super dogs as well. My heart goes out to you--I lost my other Sheltie, Jess, about 4 years ago and I still think of him often and miss him terribly. Animals do touch your heart like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete