Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

November 4, 2009

Birthdays in the Electronic Age


Birthdays have really evolved since the take over of computers, the almighty internet, texting and the subsequent reduction of everyone's social lives to communication via Facebook and Twitter. By 9 this morning, I'd received birthday wishes from folks around the country via text (while I do appreciate the wishes, setting my phone to jangling an hour before my alarm is set to go off in the morning ain't exactly the happiest wishes a non-morning person could receive...I'm just sayin'). I've even been text messaged by my child's friends (cause I'm a cool mom). I've gotten lots of notes posted to my Wall on Facebook, which are usually entertaining because people know others get to see exactly what their wishes are and "Happy Birthday" seems so bland when you can say things like "Another year older, Geezer? Are parts falling off yet??" Heck, I've even been bombarded by well wishes from machines--auto generated from companies I'm pretty sure don't even know my name: my savings account company (ING), Webshots (who cleverly allows me to post pics here occasionally), a Market Study company I've helped out, the Squirrel Board and more. It brings a tear to my eye that they all remembered too.

Yes, birthdays in the electronic age are like no other. Now if only people could send sweets via email--I'd be set! :-)

Thanks to all for the Birthday wishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment