Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

July 19, 2009

Theme Park Delusions


If there was one thing I was sure of these days, it's that the economy is in the tank. You know it, I know it, you'd have to live under a rock
not to know it. So you can imagine my surprise to learn there apparently is one entity with their heads in the sand about the financial struggles going on.

Let me preface: My family reunion is next weekend so me, my favorite husband and favorite son will be heading south to Orlando. Are we flying? Nope. Train? Don't make me laugh. We have to cruise south more efficiently than that. We're hitchhiking. Going old school--schlepping luggage down the highway in 100 degree heat with our thumbs stuck out. It'll be an adventure! Alright, maybe it's not that bad. We're driving. But trust me when I say our budget isn't thrilled with the idea of a vacation right now. But it's a family reunion and I cannot let my grandmother down by missing it. So the whole trip is going to be, lets say, "on the cheap."

And then we got to thinking, since we'll be in the capital of all mega vacation spots and it's the last summer fling for my 11 year old, maybe we'd surprise our son and do something we never do during the many times we've visited Orlando to see family: go to a theme park.


Since we don't frequent these places, I had no idea what it costs to get in. Our neighborhood theme park, Six Flags, is about $40 admission usually but there are so many "offers" out there for discounted tickets, if you pay more than about $10 to get in, you got ripped off. The park clearly realizes that folks' pocketbooks are pinched tight and if they hope to have any visitors, they better make it cost effective for the people who'd like some roller coaster thrills but only if they're reasonably priced. With this as my reference, I checked online to see what the cost is for one of Disney's water parks. And here's where the delusion comes in. A one day adult admission to one of Disney's water parks costs a whopping $75. That's an awful lot of smackers and mysteriously reminiscent of the cost to get in while we all lived in economic bliss.

And look, I'm a big fat fan of Capitalism. It's why America is great--companies can make pot loads of money if they offer a great service/product people are willing to pay for. But you would also think that a company whose success comes from its patrons, there might be some slack cut when said-patrons are struggling but still want a little love, fun and It's a Small World After All in their lives. Alas, no. And get this, if you're 10 or over, you're an adult and get to pay the adult price. That's right, Chase. Go register to vote, pay your own bills, start supporting your mom, you're an adult now! Seriously? $75 to get in is ridiculous and then to slap that kind of fee on a child's admission is even worse.


It was disappointing to learn The Happiest Place on Earth continues to charge an ultra-premium price, though most folks' finances are mere fractions of what they used to be. Let me give credit where credit is due, however. If you buy more than one day's admission, you do get a discount. We don't have the funds or desire to go more than a day but if we were looking for a two day Mouseketeer excursion, we could save big bucks: 50 cents a person per day. 50 cents. For us three, $1.50. Maybe that'd buy lunch at the park.

2 comments:

  1. Scathing! lol So here's a little 411 for you. There are a TON of places on the way to Orlando and IN Orlando that you can buy discount park passes. I also have a good friend that might be able to get you in for free. Key word is might. Email me. I will give her a call in a bit and see if something can be arranged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing very informative article. Legoland theme park in UK is a complete family entertainment package. Dragon coaster is a dangerous ride, very scary for children as well as adults. Don’t miss the live running shows, building workshops, lego models in all shapes and sizes, driving schools, fire academy. For more details refer Legoland Theme Park

    ReplyDelete