Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

February 23, 2009

Good News? Anybody?


Am I the only one sick and damn tired of the drama that smacks us in the face each morning via the news? I consider myself neither an optimist or a pessimist, but merely a realist. And the reality is, in trucking these days, like the rest of the free world, there's little good news to be had. But I actually got a little good news today so I feel the need to shout it to the world, simply because I think we could all stand to know that not everything happening each and every day is bad, bad and mo' bad.

As you all realize by now, my job is in trucking. I'm a truckin' gal but not in a "let me back that rig up for ya" or a "can I reheat your coffee, sir?" way. Rather in a writer/manager/miracle-worker/juggler capacity. And part of the line up I work on includes a great website, TheTrucker.com.

We've specialized in trucking for...well, ever. And when you're in this kind of business, getting feedback from readers/end-users is like pulling teeth. We're all busy, I know, I'm not really knocking on you here, per se. But it's simply a fact I've learned in my umpteen (which in this case translates to 15) years in the industry: drivers don't usually do a whole lot of sending in letters and comments. Not good, not bad. It's become a "if they ain't complainin', keep doin' what you're doin' because they like it" kind of thing. No news is good news and all that jazz. Don't get me wrong--we get some notes but just not tons. And that's ok--I don't need a constant pat on the back. But because we know this about our audience, when we do hear from the folks about something good that happened to them because of something offered by us, we take notice and we're thrilled. So in an effort to pass around a little good news, I'm sharing some recent kudos here, if you don't mind.

We just received a super letter from a gal who, even in this crapstorm of an economy, was able to use our website to land herself a job that will be a real step up for her. She wrote to our website guru:

"I just have to thank You. I applied to Dart Transit [and] have been approved though my application. March 16 I will be going though orientation. I really think your website is awesome. It really works, and I hope other drivers who are looking for work come to this site. There are [many jobs] there. Thank You, Nancy Teresa Bourland"

Nancy, you are incredibly welcome and I'm delighted that we connected you with a new career and a bright future. In this day, the cream of the crop jobs may be harder to discover, but they're out there folks. Want to see for yourself? Check out the site here--we want to hear more success stories like Nancy's because we can all appreciate a little good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment