Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

October 9, 2009

Welcoming Addie


I'm an aunt again. My new niece was born in the wee hours of the morning yesterday, October 8th...at 1:05 a.m. Her name is Carlee Addison and will go by Addie and she is the cutest thing. I know everyone says that but this time, it's actually true. I know it's rude to give a gal's weight and all but this time, I think it'll be ok. She made her grand debut at 7 lbs, 14 oz and is already nearly two feet tall--21" to be exact.


Erin is my only sister, 13 years younger than me (never mind the math), and it went without saying that I would be at the hospital when Addie was ready to show up. Even if it was a two hour drive to get there. But I was so excited to be there when she embarked on a whole new part of her life. We parents know it'll occasionally be the toughest thing she's ever done but also the most rewarding. As much as she loves Addie now, she has no idea the depth her love will reach over the next days, weeks, months, years.

Miss Addie might've worked a little magic for her favorite aunt (that's me) and rushed her arrival a bit more than she did since it was a school night and all, but obstinacy runs in our family and she was clearly already exerting her family traits starting on her very first birthday. She's a night owl, evidently. Something that I hope doesn't continue as the days march on, for her parents' sake!

She arrived at 1:05 a.m. and by 2, the crowd at the hospital had spent an hour ooh'ing and ahh'ing over this little pumpkin with a head full of dark hair just like my sister. But Erin was tired and the amount of sleep hours available to those of us needing to work the following day was dwindling fast so we all said our goodbyes and congratulations and headed out the door. Unfortunately I had a two hour drive to get home. It was from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. that I gained an entirely new respect for drivers who drive these hours regularly--and I saw a lot of them out there. For the first 20 minutes, I was pretty awake and thinking the drive would be no big deal. For the next hour and 40 minutes, I drove with the windows down in the chilly air, shivering with the radio blaring and singing at the top of my lungs (a real treat for the cars I drove alongside on the interstate) to make sure I kept the heavy eyelids at bay. I got home at 4 and me and my fully clothed self with a face of make up and unbrushed teeth plopped into bed by 4:02.


I love this sweet little Addie already, am so proud of my sister and excited for the experiences that are coming her way. Reminds me of when my Chase was born. I wrote about it here if you care to reminisce: A New Baby, a Dose of Hysteria & the Dog Food Fork

Carlee Addison Beck:

Addie

Me and my sister Erin, pre-Addie:

MeErin

2 comments: