Hello and welcome! An introduction for you: I'm a mom, wife, friend, animal-lover, and lacrosse parent who also happens to write, edit and manage a publishing company for a living. So why not start a blog, I thought? And here ya go...

January 26, 2009

A Trucking Life for Me


Most folks who will stumble onto this here blog will know me from the world of trucking. That's right, truck driving. 18 wheels, dry vans, household goods, truck stops (not that you find ME in truck stops, a la lot lizard), deadheading, sleepers, bobtails, chicken lights and lots of other jargon that unless you're in the industry, you might not know or really give any thought to. Those of you who have stumbled onto here who are not in trucking, yet find yourself reading along might be wrinkling your nose and saying: Huh? Trucking?

Yessss, trucking. The same reaction I got about trucking when I first announced my foray into over-the-road transportation to my bartending colleagues from college is what I still largely get to this day: You're in trucking? Oh yeah, what month are you?

Flattering but I earn my living from being honest-to-goodness entreached in a world dominated by diesel fumes, truck stop buffets, chrome big rigs, and men. (Although us gals are coming along in the numbers.) I was hired onto Trucker's Connection magazine fresh out of college with nary an understanding of what a conventional vs a cabover tractor was. Yikes--there were still cabovers then. I mean, new ones. I'm ooooollllllddddd. Lots of o's, l's and d's signify a ripe old age. (Really, I'm 38.)

I was hired originally to be a writer--an assistant editor, technically--which I would have laughed myself silly over had anyone told me long ago that I'd be a writer for a living. I'm sure my English teachers would've had a hearty chuckle as well. The first press conference I attended was for Peterbilt at the old International Truck Show when it was held in Anaheim, Calif. In a lunch conference held in a huge hotel ballroom with probably 400 people, I was one of three females in the joint. We were surrounded by a sea of business suits and ties who all knew one another and all worked for a variety of trucking magazines, newspapers and other organizations. (The world of trucking publishing is a little bigger than most realize.) These days, I believe the estimate for women in truck driving is about 10%. I'm sure when you also consider all the women who work with publications, websites, organizations and companies who are tied into trucking in some way, it's an even higher percentage than that. We've come a long way from that 3-gal press conference. But for all my minority status, lack of trucking knowledge and feeble writing expertise when I was first hired, what I was, was organized and a fast learner. And here I am now.

Over the course of 15 years, I have been an assistant editor, an Editor in Chief (complete with capital letters and everything) and a General Manager/Publisher. What I've learned is that the vast majority of Americans--dare I say the vast majority of people regardless of country, do not know much about the trucking industry or give it much thought. But you'd surely give it a lot of thought if it shut down tomorrow. Every imagineable thing you own, consume or touch was delivered at some point by a truck. And who mans these 18-wheeled (and sometimes more) beasts? Tough-working men and women who live a hard life for a good paycheck. They're away from friends and family for 10 days to 12 weeks at a time; they work odd hours; are subject to rules and regulations made by people who've never seen the inside of a truck; shower, eat and launder clothes at nationwide truck stops; and deal with more road raged "4-wheelers" and traffic than you or I will see in a lifetime.

My hat's off to these people. And I've personally met lots I've enjoyed and plenty more I only know from email. Any time I've asked for help or advice, I get it in droves. They've hand-made me gifts, stop by the Mid-America Truck Show annually to say hello, and remember things I've written long after I've forgotten. They love their country, their families, and their pets and they are dedicated and devoted individuals. It's truly a cool group of people who make up trucking. I wanted to mention this industry because I'm proud to be part of it and because I hope drivers and other industry members will be a big part of the folks who visit me here regularly. And now I'd like to give all of you a little something--another electronic medium that, while not being anywhere as cool as this one, is a dandy one made better because it's updated daily and is not only entertaining, it's useful. It's my day job: http://www.thetrucker.com/

So while yes, I selfishly hope you'll make this page a favorite of yours since I have plenty to say (just ask my mom...or my boss), for a daily electronic trucking site that offers a whole lot for you in particular and makes an oustanding home page for drivers in-the-know, consider http://www.thetrucker.com/ my little gift to you.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,
    This is a really nice forum. I have saved as one of my favorites and I will continue to check in. I give you my permission to use photos of me. lol I will have to say that I am learning more about you and trucking. Keep it up.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete